Thursday, April 5, 2012

How to Prepare and Eat an Artichoke

If any of you have not eaten an artichoke before, you might think you have to take a bite out of it. BEWARE: This is FALSE information. Today I will teach you How to Prepare and Eat an Artichoke.

Artichokes are spiky, so I don’t think anyone would want to take a bite out of this vegetable.

You need to take off the very first layer of leaves because they are too tough to eat.

Chop off the stem as close as you can to the leaves but without cutting any off.

Cut off the top of the artichoke so that it can steam better and most of the spiky leaves are gone.

Clip off the rest of the spiky leaves. You don’t want to eat spikes!

The three artichokes that I am making are ready to steam.

You have to put the artichokes- top side down- in a large pot with a steamer insert and add about an inch of water to the bottom of the pot. Put the lid on. Then you can put the stove on high until the water starts boiling and then just let it simmer on low for 50 minutes to 1 hour (Until a fork slides into the bottom of an artichoke easily). After your artichokes are done, you can remove them from the pot and set them on a plate to cool.

You eat the artichokes by peeling off the leaves and scraping off the flesh with your front teeth. Mayonnaise is a popular option for dipping the artichoke leaves in. If you don’t like mayonnaise, you can also use melted butter.

After the flesh of the leave is in your stomach, you can put the remains in a plastic bowl for later disposal.

DO NOT EAT THIS PART!!! Scrape this whole part out with a spoon.

After you have scraped the purple stuff and stringy things off, you can eat the heart of the artichoke (the part underneath). I personally do not like this part, but my family does.

Hopefully I have introduced a new vegetable to all of your “Favorites’ Lists.” I love artichokes but usually I get so anxious to eat them because of the good smell wafting through the house for the hour or so while they are simmering.

And even a kid can teach people how to prepare and eat certain vegetables… Like Me!

How to Eat an Artichoke 1

How to Prepare and Eat an Artichoke

Yield: 1 artichoke (or more)

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 55 min

Follow my easy instructions on how to prepare and eat an artichoke, and you might just find that you have a new favorite vegetable!

Ingredients:

artichoke
mayonnaise or melted butter

Directions:

1. Pull off the first couple of layers of leaves of the bottom of the artichoke. Use a sharp knife to cut off the stem- as close as you can to the leaves. Use the knife to cut off the top of the artichoke too- just enough to cut off the spikes and create a flat layer on top.

2. Place the artichoke - top side down-in a steamer basket inside another pan. Add about 1 inch of water to the pan. Bring the water to a boil on high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer on low for 50 minutes to 1 hour (or just until a fork can be easily inserted into the bottom of the artichoke).

3. Remove the artichoke to a plate to cool slightly before eating. Pull off the leaves and dip in mayo or butter. Scrape the tip of the artichoke leaf with your teeth to eat the "meat" of the artichoke, then discard the leaf. When you get down to the "heart" of the artichoke (lots of purple leaves will be showing), scrape out the purple leaves and stringy stuff, then cut the heart into pieces and eat that too.

Source: RecipeBoy.com

Pin It

20 Responses to “How to Prepare and Eat an Artichoke”

1. 1

Maria — April 5, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Artichokes are my favorite! Great post!!

2. 2

bridget {bake at 350} — April 5, 2012 @ 7:18 am

Ooo…thank you so much! I’ve never eaten and artichoke this way, but I’ll try it now!!! :)

3. 3

TidyMom — April 5, 2012 @ 7:30 am

oh Artichokes are a huge favorite in our house! Allison has been bugging me to pick some up!

4. 4

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 5, 2012 @ 7:48 am

I love artichokes, but there are a couple things I just learned now! Thanks!!

5. 5

TastefullyJulie — April 5, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Nice tutorial! I actually just posted one yesterday, too (great minds…) I’ve never steamed them upside down before, though. Interesting.

6. 6

Nancy L — April 5, 2012 @ 11:44 am

I haven’t had artichokes in a while…now after seeing your post, I think it’s time to steam some up! Great informative post – since artichokes are a little intimidating!

7. 7

mikki — April 5, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

a little part of me dies every time I see someone cut the stem from an artichoke. You peel the hard, bitter outter skin, then the stem is as tastey and edible as the heart. Buy artichokes with a firm, tightly packed head and a long thick stem.

8. 8

Janelle — April 5, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

I’m quite impressed. I grew up in California, where artichokes are plentiful and high-quality. I now live in Ohio, where they are less so. I loved them growing up, but having only made them once since I got married 6 years ago. It just seemed like too much to be worth it, and I don’t really know what to do with them (what to serve with, etc.). I might give them a try again, though. Like you, I’ve never liked the mayo option, and always preferred the melted butter.

9. 9

kathleen erbe — April 5, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

One of my most faves, thank you. I send your blogs to two of my close friends, and you are their most fave. I have a friend with a ten yr. old young man, who already is mixing, and stirring his way to have his own blog one day. Thanks.

10. 10

Paola — April 5, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Actually, Ive been eating artichokes since I was little but not like this, i dont remove the bottom.. i just wash it and boil it and then i eat it with oil, vinegar and salt instead of that cream, I love the core, and the bottom is just as tasty as the core. You should try this too!

11. 11

ducky — April 5, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

I’ve never tried artichoke. Now I must!

12. 12

Erika — April 8, 2012 @ 3:18 am

I will admit I have not tried one. Maybe I will and maybe well I dont know. ;) HAVE A GREAT EASTER!!!!

13. 13

RecipeBoy's Grandma — April 13, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

This is the way I’ve always cooked artichokes but in latter years I began to squeeze lemon juice over the tops just as they begin to cook,and place the shell of the lemon on the steamer grill. Then I sprinkle them with garlic salt and a little dill. This adds to the flavor. When I eat one, I can’t wait to get to the heart. It’s like finding a treasure and I eat it very slowly dipping each precious piece into the mayonaise, savoring every single little bite. This is the way your grandma eats an artichoke. And even a grandma can cook like RecipeBoy once in awhile…..like me

ps I like the idea micci added about the stem and will try it next time as well.

14. 14

Dez — April 22, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

I put chopped garlic (from the jar) and few bay leaves in the water, adds a nice subtle flavor to the artichoke heart. I’ve also dipped my leaves in Bernaise sauce when I want to be fancy.

15. 15

Munazza Farrukh Shah — May 2, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Great work …Really very impressive….Must be very tasty.

16. 16

Kath — July 13, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

I steam mine right side up with pickling spice in the water. After about 30 minutes, I drain the liquid and pour it through a sieve (to keep the pickling spice out) over the artichokes. I drizzle with olive oil then pour boiling water over to rinse most of the oil off. Then I continue to steam them until done. They come out beautifully glazed and the taste is out of this world. I serve them at room temperature as an appetizer.

17. 17

Andrea — December 26, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Great post! I will have to try this!

18. 18

emma — May 1, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

Wonderfully illustrated and easy to understand. Thanks so much for sharing. Looking forward to eating my steamed artichoke!

19. 19

www.ccpiercecompany.com — June 7, 2013 @ 7:38 am

Hello, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

20. 20

brian — July 9, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

I used to make these by trimming the artichokes, then steaming them for like twenty minutes. Next I would spread their leaves, then sprinkle minced garlic in those leaves. I would stand them back in the pot, cover them then continue steaming until tender. Serve with butter or garlic butter.