Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Hearty soup to enjoy when the weather is chilly!
PREP AHEAD AND FREEZE:
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can also use chicken thighs)
- 6 ounces uncooked wild rice
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
PREP AHEAD OR MAKE NOW:
If prepping to freeze-ahead, place all of the ingredients in a freezer zip baggie. Label with the remaining ingredients that you need to add later. If preparing to eat now, just place all of these ingredients in the insert of your Instant Pot.
READY TO COOK:
Add the frozen ingredients from the bag to the Instant Pot with 5 cups of water. If you are making this now without frozen ingredients, just add the water to the ingredients you've already placed in the IP. In a small bowl, combine the flour with an additional cup of water and whisk well. Add to the pot, along with the bouillon. Cover and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Natural release. Remove the chicken and discard the bay leaves. Shred the chicken with two forks and return the chicken to the pot. Stir in the sour cream and salt.
- If you do not have an Instant Pot, you can prepare this recipe in a Dutch oven instead. Add an additional 1/4 cup water. Simmer on low heat for 45 to 55 minutes, until the wild rice is tender.
- Leftovers of this soup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Add broth or water to loosen when re-heating if the soup is too thick.
- Freeze uncooked prepped ingredients for up to 6 months.