Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is a great make-ahead recipe!
If you’re looking for something warm and comforting to make as the weather starts to get more and more chilly, this soup should be up for consideration! There are make-ahead instructions in this post- for prepping and freezing to put into your Instant Pot later, and you can also make it the same day. Instructions are also included for those who do not have an Instant Pot.
Nutritional information for Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup:
There are 282 calories for 1 1/2 cups per serving. 5.5g fat, 32g carb, 3.5g fiber, 24g protein, 4g sugars, 862mg sodium
Skinnytaste Meal Prep:
Skinnytaste Meal Prep is the newest cookbook by our friend Gina Holmolka. This is a cookbook filled with healthy make-ahead meals and freezer recipes (for all meals of the day) to simplify your life! I love this book because making dinner during the week can be stressful. If you can take time on a weekend day to prep things for the week (or weeks) ahead, then this cookbook will be super helpful to you. It’s also nice to have on hand to make meals for friends or family who are in need of help with meals.
Here are some recipes that I have bookmarked to make from the book: Breakfast on the Run Bowls, Greek Yogurt Raspberry Loaf, Taco Salad Meal Prep, Ramen Salad Bowls with Grilled Chicken, California Roll Bowls, Roasted Winter Veggie Quinoa Bowls, California Tuna Salad Stuffed Cucumbers, Pumpkin Hummus, Falafel Chickpea Burgers, Zucchini Rollatini, 5 Freezer Chicken Marinades, Autumn Stuffed Acorn Squash, Winter Brisket and Barley Soup, Paprika Roasted Whole Chicken, Salmon Nicoise Salad and Greek Gyro Salad.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup:
In a freezer safe zip baggie, you’ll add mushrooms, celery, carrots, shallots, parsley, chicken (breasts or thighs), wild rice, thyme and bay leaves.
Then you’ll zip up the baggie and put a label on it that lists what needs to be added later (flour, bouillon, sour cream and salt). At this point, the zip bag can be placed into your freezer for up to 6 months. You can take it out at any time during those 6 months and make your soup with the frozen ingredients.
When ready to cook, you’ll just add the frozen ingredients (or fresh, if you’re not freezing ahead) to your Instant Pot with 5 cups of water. Then you’ll add a flour/water mixture and bouillon and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes with a natural release at the end.
After it’s done pressure cooking, you’ll remove the chicken and shred it. Discard the bay leaves.
Put the chicken back in the Instant Pot and stir in sour cream and salt. That’s it!
Your Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is then ready to ladle and serve. The result is a creamy chicken and rice soup. It’s so comforting and delicious!
What if you don’t have an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can prepare this soup in a Dutch oven or soup pot instead. Add an additional 1/4 cup of water, and simmer on low heat for 45 to 55 minutes, until the wild rice is tender.
How to store this Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup:
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Add broth or water to loosen when re-heating if the soup is too thick.
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
PREP AHEAD AND FREEZE:
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can also use chicken thighs)
- 6 ounces uncooked wild rice
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
PREP AHEAD OR MAKE NOW:
- If prepping to freeze-ahead, place all of the ingredients in a freezer zip baggie. Label with the remaining ingredients that you need to add later. If preparing to eat now, just place all of these ingredients in the insert of your Instant Pot.
READY TO COOK:
- Add the frozen ingredients from the bag to the Instant Pot with 5 cups of water. If you are making this now without frozen ingredients, just add the water to the ingredients you've already placed in the IP. In a small bowl, combine the flour with an additional cup of water and whisk well. Add to the pot, along with the bouillon. Cover and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Natural release. Remove the chicken and discard the bay leaves. Shred the chicken with two forks and return the chicken to the pot. Stir in the sour cream and salt.
- Divide the soup among 6 bowls (1½ cups each) and eat right away.
- If you do not have an Instant Pot, you can prepare this recipe in a Dutch oven instead. Add an additional 1/4 cup water. Simmer on low heat for 45 to 55 minutes, until the wild rice is tender.
- Leftovers of this soup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Add broth or water to loosen when re-heating if the soup is too thick.
- Freeze uncooked prepped ingredients for up to 6 months.