This Watermelon Salad recipe is such a perfect salad recipe to make in the summer.
We have been obsessed with watermelon this summer. It’s so fresh and juicy and addicting! So we’ve been eating it on its own and serving it with dinner many nights of the week. This Watermelon Salad is our new favorite. Watermelon is the perfect addition to a simple dinner salad, and it’s really delicious to eat when paired with feta cheese.
Ingredients needed for Watermelon Salad:
- fresh mint
- feta cheese
- white wine vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
This is a super easy salad to make. You’ll just combine arugula, watermelon, cucumber and mint in a salad bowl. Then you’ll whisk together the dressing, which is made of white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Then you’ll toss the salad with the dressing and sprinkle feta cheese on top.
Substitutions and other suggestions:
The recipe calls for using arugula, which is a tasty, slightly peppery green. You can certainly substitute another green, if you’d like. I’d suggest using chopped red lettuce if you don’t want to use arugula.
Try substituting avocado for the cucumber. Or use both!
Feta cheese crumbles are easy enough to use in this recipe (you know… the kind you buy in the package at the store). But if you buy a chunk of feta cheese and cut it into pieces, it’s a zillion times more delicious than the little crumbles. Try it! You can also use goat cheese crumbles in place of the feta, if you’d like.
It’s a bonus that this salad is gorgeous too! Make sure you choose a good watermelon so you have the best tasting watermelon for your salad.
How to choose a good watermelon:
- Pick it up and pat the belly of the melon. A ripe melon will produce a deep, hollow sound. Under-ripe melons will sound more like a dull thud. The surface of the melon should be hard and firm.
- Watermelons develop a yellow spot at the place they rested on the ground while growing. When they are ripe and ready to eat, the spot will turn a a brighter yellow. The brighter the spot, the longer the melon stayed on the vine sweetening up.
Give this easy Watermelon Salad recipe a try for dinner this summer, and let me know what you think. It will be a refreshing addition to your meal. Enjoy!
Here are a few more watermelon recipes you might like to try:
Watermelon, Cucumber and Feta Arugula Salad
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 4 cups chilled seedless watermelon, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium hothouse cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, watermelon, cucumber and mint.
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- In a shaker jar, combine all of the dressing ingredients and shake to combine.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Add the dressing to the salad; toss. Sprinkle in the feta cheese. Serve immediately.