This week we made the perfect fall recipe: Baked Pumpkin Donuts!
The temperature is slowly dropping day-by-day. It has been snowing in the local mountains with a few flakes here too. Skiing will open right after Thanksgiving. So we must eat lots of baked pumpkin donuts before winter arrives!
- all purpose flour
- white sugar
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- powdered sugar
- ground nutmeg, ginger and cloves
How to make Pumpkin Spice Donuts:
First things first, you need a donut pan! Here is the donut pan that we have: Wilton Nonstick 6-Cavity Donut Pan (in case you need to order one). If you want to make 12 at once, order two.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray your donut pans with nonstick spray. Stir together dry ingredients in one pan and wet ingredients in another. Combine the two, and then stir in the pumpkin. Spoon the batter into your donut pans (the recipe makes 12). Bake about 15 minutes.
Let the baked pumpkin donuts cool on a rack before adding the glaze!
In a bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients: powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract and spices. Dunk the donuts in the glaze, and then set them back on the rack and let them sit until the glaze firms up.
I love the consistency and texture of these baked glazed donuts. They are moist, but not too moist. The spiced-up glaze adds fantastic flavor that enhances the taste of the whole donut. Some things just go hand-in-hand together!
This recipe is perfect for chilly mornings in the fall and winter. If you are part of the pumpkin-spice movement (like everyone else), then this recipe will be a grand slam for you. Baked donuts aren’t deep fried, so they are a bit healthier for you than classic glazed donuts. So that means you can eat them guilt free, right? Enjoy!
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray.
PREPARE THE DONUTS:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients- just until incorporated. Stir in the pumpkin.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan so that the cups are nearly full. Bake until the donuts are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the pan immediately and cool on racks until completely cooled before adding the glaze. Repeat with remaining batter and pan.
PREPARE THE GLAZE:
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together, heat a little bit in the microwave until warm. Dunk the tops of the donuts, return to the cooling rack and let the glaze set.
Disclosure: This recipe was originally published in 2016. It was edited and re-published in 2021.
Wednesday 2nd of November 2016
Just discovered your blog and am really appreciating your easy to follow recipes. These doughnuts look great!
Sunday 6th of November 2016
Wednesday 5th of October 2016
Oh yum, I can't wait to make these with my grandkids, they all love to help in the kitchen and love donuts of course, thanks for a yummy recipe !