Chicken Fried Chicken
Chicken Fried Chicken topped with white country gravy is a delicious twist on the classic recipe for Southern Chicken Fried Steak. Be sure to watch the video to see how to make this recipe.
If you’re in the mood for comfort food, you could always make my Parmesan Chicken Tenders or my Chicken Cheese Steak Sandwiches. But today, you should definitely consider trying something different- Chicken Fried Chicken!
What is Chicken Fried Chicken?
If you’ve ever had classic Chicken Fried Steak, then you might have an idea of what I’m talking about here. When you eat Chicken Fried Steak, you’re actually eating batter fried steak. It’s called “chicken fried steak” because it’s cooked like fried chicken. In this recipe, you’re going to be making actual fried chicken (not beef) that’s topped with gravy.
How to make Chicken Fried Chicken:
The first thing to do is batter fry the chicken. If you buy thin chicken cutlets instead of breasts, they will cook more quickly. The chicken is sprinkled with salt and pepper, then dipped in spiced flour, then egg, and then the flour mixture again. Then the chicken is fried in oil and butter until crisp on each side.
The gravy for this recipe is a white country gravy. Butter is melted in a pan with flour whisked into it. Then chicken broth is mixed in and simmered until thickened. Milk and salt/pepper are added in last. You’ll end up with a creamy white gravy.
This recipe is so delicious to make for dinner. Most people really love the classic version. It’s one that is popular at a good Southern restaurant. Well, now you can make it at home. And if you prefer chicken over beef then this recipe is for you! If you’re a traditionalist who has always made the classic beef version, then I suggest you give chicken a try. It’s an incredibly tasty twist.
The chicken in this recipe should turn out to be juicy and flavorful. It will have a crispy coating on the outside. And it’s topped with a simple and flavorful white country gravy. It’s the perfect comfort food to make for dinner!
Chicken Fried Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup water
- 2 pounds thin sliced chicken cutlets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
PREPARE THE FRIED CHICKEN:
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat until ripples begin to form.
- While the oil heats, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and water.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge one steak in the flour mixture, then the egg and then back in the flour mixture to coat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet. Repeat with the remaining chicken adding more oil as needed. Work in batches if necessary as to not overcrowd the pan. (Overcrowding will cause the chicken to steam and the coating will not get crisp.) Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown (time depends on thickness of chicken). Flip the chicken and continue cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Transfer the chicken to a platter or baking sheet and cover with foil to keep warm.
PREPARE THE GRAVY:
- Add the butter to the skillet and sprinkle with flour. Whisk together in the pan and cook until golden. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and continue cooking until thickened. Stir in the milk until smooth and beginning to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the fried chicken immediately topped with the gravy.