This week I decided to make a family classic, but with a twist! My Grandma has been making Chalupas ever since my Mom was a kid, so I was totally psyched to make these. Chalupas are usually served with beans, cheese, and the optional lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and avocado. I chose to add one of the best things in the whole world… bacon!
I made five chalupas, a good number for a hungry Dad, a starving son, and a Mom on a diet.
In order to have crispy tortillas, you need to fry them before you broil them. Crispy tortillas really add to the enjoyment of the recipe. You can actually pick the chalupas up when you eat them, like I do, if you fry the tortillas. Just make sure not to get any burning oil on yourself, that stuff hurts!
The beans have to be spread evenly over the tortilla. It is just chalupa law. Spreading things evenly is really hard for me because my perfectionism kicks in, and then I simply can’t stop correcting minor mistakes. Finally, I had to stop perfecting the chalupas… because I ran out of beans. 🙂
I’m still working on my GQ pose, but I hope to perfect it soon. Don’t forget to visit me at the Barnes & Noble in Reno on November 16th for my book signing! I will be signing books from 1 to 3 PM. Come visit and get a signed FutureChefs book (the one I have a recipe featured in)!
Yummmmm! The bacon added to the amazingness of this classic recipe. These chalupas were fantastic! How more perfect can you get?!
I couldn’t wait to chow down. When you are taking pictures or having pictures taken of you, it is so hard not to swallow on the food in front of you whole. I sit there and I ponder the food as I take pictures of it. My mouth waters, but I have to resist the temptation and take some good pictures. In this recipe, my Mom took most of the pictures, but that’s only because I was the star of the pictures (well, and the chalupas). These chalupas were completely radical. I took a family classic and flipped it to make it even better! Again, please come visit me at the Barnes & Noble in Reno on November 16th! I am so excited for my book signing and hope my local readers will stop by between 1 and 3 for a visit!
And even a kid can do a book signing and make chalupas… Like Me!
Grandma's Chalupas with Bacon
- ¾ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 6 medium corn tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- 3 slices cooked, chopped bacon
- Heat about ¾ cup oil in a small saute pan. When it's ready (flick a drop of water in... if it sizzles, it's ready), fry tortillas one at a time for about 30 seconds each side or until slightly firm. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and cover with another paper towel. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Set tortillas on a cookie sheet and spread each tortilla with some beans. Sprinkle cheese on top. Place in the preheated oven for 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and the tortilla edges are lightly browned. Remove from the oven.
- Top with desired toppings: lettuce, tomato, sour cream, avocado and BACON! Eat!