This Sausage Tortellini Soup is the perfect sort of comfort food meal for a chilly day!
Here’s a lightly creamy soup filled with crumbled, cooked sausage, cheese tortellini, kale (or spinach) and a ton of great flavor! This is the kind of soup I like to make for dinner when the day ahead looks rainy/snowy and cold… when it’s the kind of day when you don’t really want to go anywhere because your house is so cozy. Putting a pot of this sausage tortellini soup on the stove to simmer turns it into a perfect day!
This recipe comes from a new cookbook by Stephanie Melchione (TheCozyCook.com) called The Cozy Cookbook. We love this cookbook because it’s full of comfort food style recipes that we enjoy. The book contains over 100 recipes for all meals of the day. These appear to be recipes that we’re going to want to make over and over again! This is a great book to add to your cookbook shelf.
Here are a few recipes from the book that we’d like to try:
- Beer Battered Onion Rings
- Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Beef Tips and Gravy
- Smothered Chicken
- Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Blackberry Cobbler
- The Best Steak Rub
What ingredients do you need to make tortellini soup?
- ground Italian sausage
- all purpose flour
- basil, oregano, mustard powder, cayenne and red pepper flakes
- hot sauce
- chicken broth
- heavy whipping cream
- cheese tortellini
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make Sausage Tortellini Soup:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
For more flavor, add the rind from a block of Parmesan cheese to the soup while it simmers.
Taste the soup, and season with salt as needed.
And now your soup is ready to serve. It’s creamy, delicious and full of all kinds of good things!
Transfer to individual serving bowls, and top with a pinch of red pepper flakes.
What to do with leftovers:
Leftovers of this soup can be refrigerated and eaten the next day. The tortellini pasta tends to soak up the liquid in the soup when sitting overnight, so plan to add some more chicken broth to the soup when you heat it up again.
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
- Best Turkey Soup Recipe
- New England Clam Chowdah
- Easy French Onion Soup
- Sausage and Corn Chowder
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups finely chopped kale (or spinach)
- 2 cups refrigerated cheese tortellini (about 10 ounces)
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, cook the sausage over medium-high heat for 4 minutes using a spatula to break up the meat. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 6 minutes- until the onion has softened and the sausage is cooked through.
- Tilt the pan and spoon out and discard any grease that has accumulated in the pan. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Stir in basil, hot sauce, mustard powder, oregano, pepper and cayenne (if using). Add the chicken broth in small amounts and use a rubber spatula to deglaze the pot. Stir in the cream, bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Add the tortellini, and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the kale, and continue to simmer until the tortellini is cooked through (2 to 5 minutes).
- Taste the soup, and season with salt as needed. Transfer to individual serving bowls, and top with a pinch of red pepper flakes.