This is the absolute Best Turkey Soup Recipe!
We have made this recipe many times in our house over the years, and we use either chicken or turkey- whatever we have on hand. It’s the soup I make on chilly days. It’s the soup I make when we’re feeling under the weather. And it’s the soup I make and bring to friends who are in need of a meal. Whatever the occasion, it’s definitely a favorite. It’s the Best Turkey Soup recipe!
- olive oil
- onion, carrot, celery and garlic
- all purpose flour
- oregano, thyme, poultry seasoning and salt
- chicken or turkey broth
- shredded turkey
- evaporated milk
- egg noodles
How to make the Best Turkey Soup Recipe:
In a pot, you’ll heat the oil and sauté the veggies- onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Then you’ll sprinkle flour and spices on top of the veggies.
Next you’ll stir in the broth. You can use chicken broth, or if you can locate turkey broth you can use that instead. Everything is simmered for 25 minutes.
Finally, you’ll add in the turkey, noodles and evaporated milk. At this point, you’ll continue to cook until the noodles are tender. Then the Best Turkey Soup is ready to serve!
Why does this soup call for using Evaporated Milk?
Trust the recipe! Evaporated milk has a creamy quality to it. It has a lower moisture content, which means it’s more rich and creamy than traditional milk. Evaporated milk adds a richness to this turkey soup that makes it so wonderful. If you can’t have dairy, it’s okay to leave it out. And if you want things to be really creamy, use half and half or cream instead!
The result is a soup that everyone will tell you is the best turkey soup recipe they’ve every had. Seriously, it’s totally delicious.
A note regarding leftovers:
Store leftover soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days. Since there is pasta in the soup, the pasta will tend to soak up the liquid in the soup. If you find that there is not enough broth in the soup when you pull it out to eat the next day, simply add in another can of broth and warm it all up again.
Be sure to save your leftover turkey to make this Best Turkey Soup recipe. Enjoy!
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 15-Minute Mexican Chicken Soup
- Sausage and Corn Chowder
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
Best Turkey Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups chicken (or turkey) broth
- 3 cups shredded turkey
- 12 ounces 2% canned evaporated milk
- 2 cups (4 ounces) uncooked egg noodles (or any kind of noodle)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour, oregano, thyme and poultry seasoning over the vegetables, and cook 1 minute. Stir in the broth and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes.
- Add the turkey, evaporated milk and noodles, and cook 10 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- TIP: Can substitute chicken to make chicken soup.