Chocolate Oranges are a super easy sweet snack to make and enjoy. It’s a good one for kids too!
Oranges are a popular fruit. And pretty much everyone likes chocolate too. Orange and chocolate has always been a delicious pairing. So it makes sense to combine them to create a chocolate-dipped delight. This is so simple to do. It’s the perfect, easy sweet treat to set out for a small gathering of friends. And these Chocolate Oranges would be a beautiful addition to a charcuterie board too.
How to make Chocolate Oranges:
The first thing you’ll do is peel your oranges and divide them into segments. Use naval oranges or large, seedless clementines. Any good, ripe orange will do. Once you have them segmented, peel away any extra white pith and discard it so you have nice, clean orange segments.
Melt dark chocolate disks in the microwave or in a double boiler on the stove. Ghirardelli brand is the easiest one to find at the grocery store, or you can order chocolate melting disks online.
Can you use chocolate chips for dipping?
Yes! If you use chocolate chips, use dark chocolate chips. When you melt the chocolate chips, add about 1/2 teaspoon of shortening to melt along with them. This will help create a nice, smooth chocolate for dipping.
Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Dip oranges halfway in chocolate. Lay on the wax paper. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of sea salt. The sea salt is optional, but if you really enjoy chocolate with sea salt, then you’ll like it added to these Chocolate Oranges. Let the oranges sit at room temperature until the chocolate is set. If you want to speed up that process, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator and they’ll firm up quickly.
If you’re one who likes chocolate dipped anything, you’ll certainly love these Chocolate Dipped Oranges too. They’re a bit more healthy than my Chocolate Dipped Graham Crackers or my Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Oreos. And once you make these, you’re going to have to make some Chocolate Covered Strawberries too!
Chocolate Oranges are best when eaten within a few hours. You’ll get about 20 dipped orange segments out of the recipe (using 2 oranges). So that means about 5 people can enjoy 4 segments each. That should be plenty to satisfy the chocolate craving and get a little bit of a sweet treat. Enjoy!
- 2 medium naval oranges or large, seedless clementines peeled
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate melting wafers
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt (optional)
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper.
- Peel the oranges or clementines and separate them into segments. Peel away any extra white pith and discard (for nice, clean segments).
- Melt the dark chocolate melting wafers in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl, or in a double boiler on the stovetop.
- Carefully dip each orange segment halfway in the melted chocolate and place it on the wax paper. If desired, sprinkle a little flaky sea salt on top before the chocolate sets. Continue this way until all the oranges are dipped.
- Let the chocolate set before serving.
- You can make these up to 2 hours ahead of time and store them at cool room temperature.