Today I’m sharing one of my personal favorite recipes for football season! There is no better way to enjoy the game than with a big bowl of chips and my Bacon and Cotija Cheese Guacamole. This guac is chunky, cheesy, and sure to please a crowd!
Look at that beautiful bowl of guac! I just HAD to pile on the bacon and cheese because that’s exactly how I like it.
- Thick-cut bacon
- Large avocados
- Green onion
- White wine vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Hot sauce (I used the chipotle-style Cholula)
- Cotija or queso fresco cheese
- Lime wedge
- Tortilla chips
How to make Bacon and Cotija Cheese Guacamole:
First, you’re going to peel the skin off the avocados and remove the pits. Then the avocado goes into a bowl and you can start smashing it! Also make sure to cook your bacon if you haven’t already!
What’s the best way to cook bacon?
I like to make bacon in the oven. It’s the easiest, cleanest way to make bacon! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Lay the strips of bacon on the foil. Bake until the bacon is browned and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Time in the oven will depend on how thick your bacon is. Let the bacon cool and drain on a paper towel lined plate, and then chop it or break it into smaller pieces.
Make sure not to smash the avocados too much (you want to keep them chunky). Next you’re going to add the green onion, vinegar, garlic powder, and hot sauce and stir until it’s all combined.
Here’s where the guacamole transforms into something incredible… You’re going to stir in the bacon and cheese, saving a little bit of each to garnish the top with. Squeeze however much lime you want over the top and add the guac to a serving dish. Finally, garnish with the remaining bacon and cheese and serve with tortilla chips.
What kinds of cheeses can you add to guacamole?
I mostly use Cotija for my guac, but you can use others as well. Queso fresco works well and so would feta (I know there are some hardcore feta cheese-lovers out there). Basically any cheese that you can crumble, whichever you’d prefer!
If you prefer a creamier guacamole, you can always mix in some sour cream and smash the avocados until they are more smooth. Personally, I love the chunky style!
This Bacon and Cotija Cheese Guacamole is a tasty Game Day snack! I can’t wait to relax on the couch eating this guacamole while I’m watching the Patriots games in a few weeks. I’m super excited for the new season of NFL football, and even more excited for you all to try out this new guacamole recipe! Be sure to try my Best Taco Dip recipe too. Both are perfect football snacks or just general party foods!
Bacon and Cotija Cheese Guacamole
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 large ripe avocados (or 6 small)
- ¼ cup minced green onion
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- dash or two of hot sauce
- ½ cup crumbled cotija or queso fresco cheese
- salt, to taste
- lime wedge, squeezed on top
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Cook bacon, and crumble into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add scooped out avocados. Mash until they are chunky, but not smooth.
- Add the onion, vinegar, garlic powder and hot sauce; stir to combine.
- Stir in the cheese (save a little for the top). Stir in the bacon too (save a little for the top. Squeeze lime on top.
- Spoon the guacamole into a serving bowl. Sprinkle reserved cheese and bacon on top, and serve with tortilla chips.