I’m sharing the most incredible, Best Taco Dip recipe for Game Day, Super Bowl and parties with friends!
I’ll start by letting you know that this recipe is RecipeBoy approved. The crazy-busy guy is back at SMU and is pledging a fraternity (Sigma Chi). So he’s having fun in Dallas and hopefully keeping up with school too!
The best taco dip is super easy to make, and it’s an absolutely perfect appetizer to whip up for Super Bowl Sunday (or a party where you have a lot of people). It’s a great dip, but it’s also a big dip that feeds a crowd!
How to make the Best Taco Dip:
You’ll start by cooking two pounds of lean ground beef with 1 chopped onion. Then you’ll add in salsa, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. That mixture will simmer for about one hour. Next you’ll add canned Ranch Style beans and heat it through.
You’ll need a large platter because this recipe makes a large taco dip! After it has cooled slightly, the meat and bean mixture is spread out onto the platter.
Rice is spooned on top of the meat for the second layer. This is Spanish rice. You’ll just buy a box of Spanish rice and make it according to the package instructions.
Chopped iceberg lettuce is sprinkled on next. Use iceberg lettuce and nothing else. It’s crunchy and sturdy and perfect for taco dip!
What makes this the best taco dip is what you decide to put on top of this taco platter! You can keep layering the toppings on, or you can be decorative like this. It’s totally up to you. I opted for using shredded cheddar cheese, sliced olives, Fritos and halved cherry tomatoes. Sour cream, guacamole and salsa would be good toppings as well (or to serve on the side).
How to serve this taco dip:
There are several ways to serve this. At a recent party, guests simply took spoonfuls of the taco dip and enjoyed it that way. You can also serve this with Fritos scoops or tortilla chips for scooping up the taco dip. And if you want to turn this taco dip platter into actual tacos, consider putting out the little street taco flour tortillas so people can make tacos out of it!
And here’s me with the best taco dip ever! You might have noticed that I’m a Patriots fan. I’m bummed that they didn’t make it to the Super Bowl yet again… but I’m so happy that the two teams are San Francisco and Kansas City. My uncle was college roommates with Bill Walsh (coach of the 49ers from back in the Joe Montana days), and my brother and his family are huge Chiefs fans. So I’ll be rooting for both of them this weekend!
Here are a few more Game Day recipes you might like to try:
- How to make Walking Tacos
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Pretzel Dogs
- Bacon Crackers
- Baked Mozzarella Bites
- Jalapeño Popper Football Cheese Ball
- Gameday Sliders
- How to make Homemade Soft Pretzels
The Best Taco Dip
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Two 15-ounce cans Ranch Style beans
- One box Spanish rice, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- One 2¼-ounce can sliced olives, drained
- 1 bag classic Fritos
- add sour cream, guacamole and salsa, if desired!
- serve with street taco flour tortillas, Fritos scoops or tortilla chips as desired
- In a large pot, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Drain. Add the salsa, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Simmer for 1 hour. Add the beans to the beef mixture and heat through.
- Spoon the beef and bean mixture onto a large platter. Top with the cooked rice and then the chopped lettuce. Layer cheese, tomatoes, olives and Fritos on top. Add additional toppings, as desired.