Peppermint Brownies are delicious fudgy brownies with York Peppermint Patties baked inside of them.
Hi, it’s RecipeGirl here (Brooks’ Mom)! I’ve been busy baking some Christmas sweets for the holidays, and these Peppermint Brownies were among the best chocolate treats in the bunch. They are so yummy because you get that surprise of a Peppermint Patty when you bite into them. I can’t wait to share them with Brooks when he comes home from college for the holidays this weekend!
This recipe comes from a cookbook that I just got in the mail (affiliate link ahead): The Perfect Cookie by America’s Test Kitchen. I love this book because it’s full of great cookie, bar and brownie recipes!
How to make Peppermint Brownies:
You’ll make the most delicious (and easy to make) brownie batter ever. Some of that batter is spread onto the bottom of an 8-inch square pan, and then you will place sixteen snack-size York Peppermint Patties on top of the first layer of batter. The rest of the batter is then spread on top, and then it’s time to bake and let those flavors come together.
Once baked, it’s a good idea to let these Peppermint Brownies cool at room temperature for a couple of hours before cutting. If you’d like good-sized brownies, you can go ahead and cut them into 16 pieces. If you want more bite-sized brownies, then you will want to cut each of those brownies in half to create 32 brownies. I recommend cutting them smaller because they are very good… but I think people enjoy a smaller treat. They can always help themselves to more, as desired!
A hot tip about York Peppermint Patties:
It’s likely that you’ll buy more Peppermint Patties than you need for this recipe. Store the leftovers in the freezer because they taste amazing when they are frozen!!
Enjoy these brownies! I think they’ll make a nice addition to holiday treat platters. Happy holidays!
By the way, Brooks is excited to come home and share some recipes on his blog again… so you can look forward to some updates from him next month!
Here are a few more brownie recipes you might like to try:
- Best Oreo Brownies
- Nutella Brownies
- Blizzard Brownies
- Basement Brownies
- Mint Fudge Stuffed Brownies
- Buckeye Brownies
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position, and preheat your oven to 350℉. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil, making sure the foil comes over the sides. Spray the foil with nonstick spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the butter and chocolate until melted (1 to 2 minutes); let cool slightly. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla together. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture until combined. Use a rubber spatula to stir in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Spread all but 1 cup of batter in an even layer in the prepared pan. Place the mints ½ inch apart on top of the batter. Gently spread the remaining batter over the mints and smooth the top. Bake just until set in the center, 25 to 30 minutes. Let the brownies cool in the pan on a wire rack for 2 hours. Use the foil to help remove the brownies from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut and serve, or store in a covered container.