Chocolate Delight has a buttery pecan crust topped with layers of sweet cream cheese, Cool Whip and pudding.
I’ve seen versions of this recipe around the internet before. Chocolate delight is such a simple dessert to make (using simple ingredients), and everyone always loves it. I like to bring it to a potluck and let everyone devour this awesome dessert. There won’t be any left over!
This recipe comes from Southern Living 2021 Annual Recipes. We are big fans of Southern Living around here, so we always pick up their annual cookbook. This year is full of delicious recipes for all meals of the day. It’s a cookbook we use often in our kitchen.
Here are a few recipes from the book that we’ve been wanting to make:
- Spicy Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp
- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Strawberry- Goat Cheese Crostini
- Cucumber- Mint Mojitos
- Hash Brown Frittata
- Fresh Mint Chocolate Pie
- Cherries and Cream Icebox Cake
- Sheet Pan Jambalaya
- Red Velvet Cake Crinkle Cookies
- Raspberry Snack Cake
- self-rising flour
- chopped pecans
- unsalted butter
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- Cool Whip
- whole milk
- instant chocolate pudding
- instant vanilla pudding
- chocolate syrup
How to make self-rising flour:
If you don’t want to buy a whole bag of self-rising flour, it’s easy enough to make some of your own at home for this recipe. Measure 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour. Add 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder and just shy of 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Whisk to combine. Then you can use it as directed in the recipe.
How to make Chocolate Delight:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and the chocolate and vanilla pudding mixes until well combined. Let stand until slightly set- about 10 minutes. Pour the pudding mixture over the cream cheese layer and spread to evenly cover; spread the remaining Cool Whip on top.
Drizzle your chocolate delight with chocolate syrup. Cover and chill at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
When the chocolate delight is well-chilled, it’s much easier to cut into clean pieces for serving. Enjoy!
How to toast pecans:
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the pecans evenly onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake until they begin to brown, making sure to toss halfway through, 7 to 10 minutes.
Can I replace the Cool Whip with real whipped cream?
I know that someone will ask me this question, so I’m prepared to answer it. We haven’t tried it that way, but you can certainly try. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work.
Favorite Chocolate Dessert Recipes:
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Rich and Creamy Chocolate Cream Pie
- Texas Skillet Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
- Chocolate Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 1½ cups self rising flour
- 1½ cups finely chopped toasted pecans
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
MAKE THE CRUST:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, pecans and butter. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish in a thin layer, patting it evenly into all corners. Bake until set, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes.
MAKE THE LAYERS:
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese for about 2 minutes- until it is very creamy. Gradually mix in the powdered sugar, beating until well-blended- about 1 minute. Fold in 1 cup of the Cool Whip. Spread the mixture evenly over the cooled crust.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and the chocolate and vanilla pudding mixes until well combined. Let stand until slightly set- about 10 minutes. Pour the pudding mixture over the cream cheese layer and spread to evenly cover; spread the remaining Cool Whip on top. Drizzle with chocolate syrup. Cover and chill at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.