Last weekend I made one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had! I found this recipe for Ice Cream Soaked French Toast in The Cookies & Cups Cookbook by Shelly Jaronsky. Spoiler alert: The cookbook is flat-out awesome. And the French toast… well, read on!
When I tried this recipe, I couldn’t believe that I was sitting in my own kitchen. This French toast tastes like something you would order in a famous local restaurant… Dear Guy Fieri- feature my house on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives please?!
It turns out that this recipe was inspired by a breakfast that author Shelly had in a small restaurant called Pickles in Seaside, Florida! Who would have guessed?!
Here is that great cookbook and my cute dog… (her name is Tessie)
I am NOT a morning-person. I prefer to shut off my alarm and go back to sleep. But if I get to eat French toast, I’ll make the effort to throw myself out of bed.
Yum. Yum. YUM.
Ice Cream Soaked French Toast is truly unique and special. Unlike usual French toast batter, this one only has ice cream, eggs, and cinnamon. The ice cream adds a nice, rich flavor to the recipe. It’s much different than any French toast I’ve ever had!
This is the perfect recipe to impress people. The taste is instantly captivating. Anyone with taste buds will enjoy this recipe greatly, and it would be perfect for serving to company.
Ice Cream Soaked French Toast
- 1 cup melted vanilla ice cream
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 8 slices Texas toast
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) salted or unsalted butter
- In a shallow bowl, combine the ice cream, eggs and cinnamon.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Working with 1 slice at a time, dip the bread into the egg mixture and allow it to soak for 15 seconds on each side, until the bread has absorbed the mixture but is not completely saturated.
- Melt ½ tablespoon of butter in the hot skillet, then place a slice of the soaked bread onto the skillet.
- Cook the bread until it is lightly golden on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.Repeat this process with all the bread and serve hot.