Headline News: These Orange Ricotta Muffins are a huge success! The texture is tender, and the flavor is delicious. Orange flavored muffins are a great idea!
Honestly, the flavor of these Orange Ricotta Muffins is extraordinary. Don’t be tempted to taste the batter because you will want to eat it right then and there. When these muffins come right out of the oven and they are piping hot, they are very light in texture. They become a little heavier as they sit.
- baking powder and salt
- ricotta cheese
- vegetable or canola oil
- orange zest and orange juice
These orange muffins have ricotta cheese in them (kind of an odd ingredient in muffins, right?). The protein in the ricotta cheese is probably what makes the muffins so filling. That’s a great thing since one muffin will fill you up pretty nicely!
How to make Orange Ricotta Muffins:
Mix the dry ingredients first: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Wet ingredients are combined in a separate bowl: ricotta cheese, water, oil, orange zest, orange juice and egg. Combine the two and mix just until combined. You don’t want to over-mix the batter or you will end up with a tougher-texture muffin.
Use a springform ice cream scoop to transfer the muffin batter to paper-lined muffin cups. It’s the easiest (and neatest) way to make sure you get uniformly sized muffins. If you don’t have an ice cream scoop, use a 1/3 cup measuring cup instead. Paper liners are optional. If you prefer to make muffins without liners, that’s okay too.
Bake your muffins for about 16 minutes, and they’ll turn out like this!
No glaze is needed on top. Nothing fancy. These muffins are delicious all on their own. But if you want to add glaze, you certainly can.
How to make a simple glaze for muffins:
Combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar with 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice. Drizzle on top of the muffins.
Orange Ricotta Muffins are awesome! They are freezable too. Just keep them in a well-sealed container or large freezer baggie, and they’ll be good for up to 3 months.
These Orange Ricotta Muffins are a great breakfast muffin or afternoon snack. Enjoy!
Note: This recipe was originally shared in 2013. It was edited and re-published in 2021.
Here are a few more muffin recipes you might like to try:
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Glazed Lemon Muffins
- Raspberry Muffins
- Banana Crumb Muffins
- Double Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
- Raspberry Dark Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
- Old Fashioned Donut Muffins
Orange- Ricotta Muffins
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and spray them lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center. In a separate bowl, whisk together the ricotta, water, oil, zest, juice and egg. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moist.
- Use an ice cream scoop (or 1/3 cup measuring cup) to scoop the batter into the muffin cups. Bake 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool before chowing down.