Today I’m tackling one of the toughest problems you’ll encounter in the kitchen. Let’s say you want a chocolate chip cookie (or a few, if we’re being honest here) but you don’t want to make a whole batch. What’s the solution? Chocolate Chip Cookies for One!
This is a small batch recipe (it makes 6 to 8 cookies) that is essentially a scaled-down version of my favorite gooey chocolate chip cookies. It’s the perfect size for couples, or if you just don’t feel like sharing 😉
- salted butter (room temp)
- light brown sugar
- granulated white sugar
- large egg yolk
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- semisweet chocolate chips
This recipe comes from The Ultimate Baking for One Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. If you’re looking for recipes that don’t serve 8 or 12 people, this is a good option. Is it just you or you and your plus one? Look no further; this is your book. These are tasty desserts, breakfast treats and breads that are perfectly portioned to serve just one or two people. It’s a great cookbook with 175 recipes.
Here are several things I’d like to try from this book (all small-batch recipes):
- Turtle Brownies
- Molten Chocolate Cake
- Soft Pretzels
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Peach Cobbler
- Butterscotch Custard
- Cherry Muffins
- Double Chocolate Chip Bread
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies for One:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Begin by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the butter, light brown sugar, and granulated white sugar until creamy, which should take around one minute. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat until well combined, or around 30 seconds. Make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl to get everything combined evenly.
Next, add the flour and baking soda and mix on low speed for 10 seconds. You just want to combine the flour, then you’ll stir in the chocolate chips until they’re evenly distributed. No dry flour should remain, so keep stirring until this is achieved.
Finally, scoop the dough into six balls and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Throw them in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until they are golden brown around the edges and voila! Perfect chocolate chip cookies for one! Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool for another 10 minutes. Enjoy the cookies at room-temperature or while they’re warm (my favorite)!
I’m off at school right now, so writing this is making me miss my doggo Tessie. She’s the best cooking companion and food vacuum around!
TIP: Don’t feed your dogs chocolate chip cookies, no matter how much they beg. Chocolate is bad for dogs!
Can you use other flavors of chocolate chips?
You can use whatever kind of chips you like! Get creative with it. After all, they are Chocolate Chip Cookies for One, which means you! Customize them however you wish. Personally, I think that peanut butter or cinnamon chips would be pretty incredible. Enjoy!
The Best Cookie Recipes:
- Cheesecake Cookies
- Best Peanut Butter Cookies
- Fluffernutter Cookies
- Nutella Cookies
- Brownie Fudge Bomb Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies for One
- ¼ cup (½ stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until creamy (about 1 minute). Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat until well combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
- Add the flour and baking soda and mix on low speed for 10 seconds to just combine the flour, then stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed and no dry flour remains.
- Scoop the dough into six balls and place on the prepared baking sheet about 3-inches apart. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges and just set in the center.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool for another 10 minutes. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.