Tortilla Crusted Turkey Cutlets with Spicy Avocado Sauce and Corn Pepper Relish is a really delicious and unique recipe to make for dinner.
For this recipe, we changed up “fried chicken” and made a healthier turkey cutlet recipe instead. We used lean turkey, baked it instead frying it, and didn’t add any salt or oil. Our family likes fried chicken, but it’s not very good for you. This turkey cutlet recipe allows you to enjoy a flavorful dish of “fried chicken,” without feeling bad about what you eat!
- nonfat milk
- baked tortilla chips
- chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, minced garlic and cayenne pepper
- turkey cutlets
- red bell pepper
- sweet onion
- lime juice
- red wine vinegar
How to make Tortilla Crusted Turkey Cutlets:
Prepare a dish of milk and a separate dish of ground tortilla chip crumbs with spices mixed in. Dip the turkey cutlets in the milk and then coat them in the spiced tortilla chip crumbs. Place them on a baking sheet, and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked through.
To make the relish, briefly sauté bell peppers, corn and onion.
The avocado sauce served with the cutlets is really, really good too. In a blender or food processor, combine avocado, cilantro, milk, lime juice, red wine vinegar, garlic and cayenne. The relish and the avocado sauce both add so many great flavors to the turkey cutlets!
This is the re-post of a recipe that RecipeBoy posted back in 2012. McCormick Spices hired the RecipeBoy/RecipeGirl team to come up with healthy recipes using their spices. Then they brought us to their headquarters in Maryland to film recipe videos with their corporate chef. It was a great project, and it was a fun experience for Mom and son to work together.
We love this recipe because it’s something that’s really different. It isn’t your everyday chicken recipe. Turkey cutlets are easy to find in the poultry section of your market. So try out this recipe sometime soon. Enjoy!
Tortilla Crusted Turkey Cutlets with Spicy Avocado Sauce
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- 2 cups baked tortilla chips, crushed into crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1¼ pounds turkey cutlets (about 4 cutlets)
- ¾ cup chopped red bell peppers
- ¾ cup corn (1 small cob or frozen)
- ¼ cup finely chopped sweet onion (1/2 small)
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried minced garlic
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 15 X 10 X 1-inch baking pan with no stick cooking spray.
- In a low, wide bowl add milk. In a second low, wide bowl- mix the tortilla crumbs with the chili powder, cumin and garlic powder.
- Dip the turkey cutlets first in the milk and then in the spiced tortilla crumbs. Place on the baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until cutlets are cooked through.
- While cutlets are baking, prepare the relish. Heat a medium, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers, corn and onions. Cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the sauce: Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Divide turkey cutlets between four plates. Add a dollop of avocado sauce and a generous spoonful of corn and pepper relish.