For festive summer holidays, bake this easy Star Spangled Pie!
This recipe was originally shared in 2011 by RecipeBoy Brooks. The photos have been updated, and it has been re-published in 2022.
This pie is made of cherries and blueberries, which turns this into a red, white and blue recipe with the addition of whipped cream or ice cream. It’s such a fun pie for summer when cherries and blueberries are ripe and cheap!
- fresh sweet, dark cherries
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- fresh blueberries
- white sugar
- refrigerated pie crust
The first step is pitting all of the cherries. This is fairly easy to do if you have a handy dandy cherry pitter! Just put on your favorite TV show, and get to work. Use a paper towel for pitting, and put on an apron or a dark colored t-shirt so you don’t have to worry about any cherry juice splashing on you and staining anything.
How to make a Star Spangled Pie:
Spoon the cherry mixture over ¾ of the pastry in the pan, leaving 1 quadrant free. Spoon the blueberry mixture into the unfilled area. Make sure you put the blueberries in the upper-left corner because that’s where the stars are going to be placed. Scatter the butter evenly over the fruit.
When the pie has cooled, it will be much easier to cut into clean slices. Serve slices with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to make this a red, white and blue dessert!
Isn’t it beautiful? This Star Spangled Pie tastes great and is perfect for Flag Day, 4th of July and all summer celebrations! Enjoy!
The Best Pie Recipes:
- Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Pie
- Snickers Ice Cream Brownie Pie
- Blackberry Lemonade Pie
- No Bake Nutella Pie
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie
Star Spangled Pie
- 5 cups fresh sweet, dark cherries, rinsed and pitted
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust (or your favorite homemade)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the cherries with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. In a smaller bowl, mix the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Combine the sugar and cornstarch; gently stir 1 cup of the mixture into the cherries and ¼ cup into the blueberries.
- Place 1 uncooked pie crust in a pie pan. Place the other pie crust on a cutting board and cut out some stars and stripes.
- Spoon the cherry mixture over ¾ of the pastry in the pan, leaving 1 quadrant free. Spoon the blueberry mixture into the unfilled area. Scatter the butter evenly over fruit.
- Top the filling with stars and stripes. Stripes over the cherries and stars over the blueberries. Set the pie in a foil-lined 13x17-inch baking pan.
- Bake on the bottom rack until the fruit is bubbling in the center and the pastry is golden brown, about 1 hour. If the pie crust is browning too quickly, gently cover it with foil.
- Let the pie cool on a rack for at least 3 hours. It's best served the same day. Serve slices with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to make this a red, white and blue dessert!