Tex Mex Shredded Beef Sandwiches
These Tex Mex Shredded Beef Sandwiches are a super easy and delicious dinner recipe to make when you’re having a busy week!
This slow cooker sandwich recipe has a short list of ingredients and it takes about 5 minutes to get it going in your slow cooker. Easy peasy! You’ll need a boneless beef roast, your favorite barbecue sauce, an envelope of dried onion soup mix and some spices that are likely already in your spice cupboard. It’s a great recipe to make for your family, and it’s sure to become a favorite.
It’s RecipeGirl here, and I’m sharing recipes on RecipeBoy’s blog that I know he and his readers would totally enjoy. He’s in his first semester of college at SMU in Dallas, and I wish he were home to sample these Tex Mex Shredded Beef Sandwiches. I’ll have to make them again and have him sample them over the holidays.
How to make Tex Mex Shredded Beef Sandwiches:
You’ll need a boneless beef roast that’s about three pounds. Place it in your slow cooker. Sprinkle spices on top (chili powder, salt, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and black pepper).
Then you’ll spread some barbecue sauce on top- your favorite kind. For the record, the favorite barbecue sauce in our house is Sweet Baby Ray’s. There is no need to put anything else in the slow cooker- no water needed. Just place the lid on top and cook on low for 8 hours.
When eight hours is up, take the roast out of the cooking liquid and place it into a large bowl. The beef will shred apart so tender and beautifully. As you shred it apart, you will come across some pieces of fat that you can take out and discard. Just keep all of that wonderful, shredded beef. Add an additional 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce to the shredded beef. And then it will be ready for making sandwiches!
To assemble the Tex Mex Shredded Beef Sandwiches, pile some shredded beef on the bottom bun of a sandwich roll. Add a slice of cheddar cheese on top. At this point, you can place them under your oven broiler for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese… or you can give them a quick warm-up in the microwave. Put the top buns on top and they’re ready to eat!
Here are a few more sandwich recipes you might like to try:
- Chicken Cheese Steak Sandwiches
- Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwiches
- Barbecue Bacon Smoked Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- The Best Dill Pickle Sandwich
Tex Mex Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- One 3-pound boneless beef roast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 8 sandwich rolls
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- Place the roast in your slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, salt, onion powder, cayenne, garlic powder and pepper. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the roast. Spread 1/2 cup barbecue sauce over the top of the spices. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and move to a bowl. Pull apart the beef, removing pieces of fat and discarding them as you come across them. Add 1/2 cup barbecue sauce to the shredded beef.
- Pile beef onto bun bottoms, top with cheese and put bun tops on top. If you'd like the cheese melted, you can warm the sandwiches briefly in the oven or the microwave.