These Baked Mozzarella Bites are a great appetizer without all of the fat. Four mozzarella bites have only 103 calories and 4 grams of fat. That’s pretty healthy compared to the fried mozzarella bites that you see in restaurants.
These mozzarella bites turn out really gooey and perfect. You’ll be using string cheese for these baked mozzarella bites. No special Italian cheeses with names you can’t even pronounce- just good old string cheese. Many of the ingredients in this recipe are simple things that you might already have around the house.
RecipeBoy Brooks first shared this recipe in 2014. We are sharing it again in 2023 with some new photos.
This recipe comes from The Skinnytaste Cookbook by Gina Homolka. This cookbook is awesome! The book is packed with 125 brand new recipes and 25 long time Skinnytaste favorites, this cookbook packs quite the punch. If you are looking for delicious recipes without all of the fat and processed crud.
- reduced-sodium, part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- all purpose flour
- seasoned bread crumbs
- grated Parmesan cheese
- dried parsley
- olive oil spray
How to make Baked Mozzarella Bites:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post. This appetizer is very easy to make!
First, cut each string cheese into four pieces and freeze them overnight. Then dip them in flour, egg, and then a seasoned whole wheat bread crumb/panko bread crumb/parmesan cheese/parsley mixture. The breading is literally the hardest part, and it still isn’t very time consuming. Then you’ll freeze the breaded cheese bites for an hour or more. Spray the bites with olive oil spray before baking.
You’ll bake them for about 5 to 6 minutes total, flipping around the 3 minute mark.
Serve baked mozzarella bites right away, while they’re still hot and gooey. The mozzarella will harden more quickly than fried cheese bites, so you want to consume them fairly soon.
After baking, the mozzarella bites ooze like all cheese should. They look and taste amazing.
Baked Mozzarella Bites with a little bit of marinara sauce? Yes, please!
Kudos to Gina from Skinnytaste.com for creating this yummy recipe. Game Day and Friday night snacking will never be the same for my family …unless we decide to make these mozzarella bites! The oozing cheese paired with the crispy breading and good marinara sauce simply cannot be beat. Enjoy!
The Best Appetizer Recipes:
- Bacon Crackers
- Pigs in Blankets
- Soft Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
- Artichoke Bruschetta
Baked Mozzarella Bites
- 12 sticks reduced-sodium part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- olive oil spray or oil mister
- Cut each piece of string cheese into quarters, place the pieces on a baking sheet, and freeze for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Put the flour in a second small bowl. In a third medium bowl, combine both the seasoned bread crumbs, panko, Parmesan and parsley flakes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip the frozen cheese in the flour, shaking off any excess, then into the egg, and lastly coat with bread crumb mixture. Put the breaded cheese on the baking sheet. Freeze the breaded cheese for at least 1 hour (this is a must or they will melt in the oven before browning).
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray the frozen cheese bites with a little bit of olive oil spray. Bake for 3 minutes, turn them over, and bake until melted inside and golden on the outside, watching them closely so the cheese doesn't come out of the breading, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately as baked mozzarella harden more quickly than fried.