This summer, you must bake a batch of Blueberry Cookies. Since there are blueberries in these cookies instead of chocolate chips, they’re a bit healthier, right??
These summer-themed cookies are a pretty, soft lemon cookie with fresh blueberries baked into them. A sweet lemon glaze is drizzled on top. They’re the perfect cookie to bake when you have a basket of smaller-sized blueberries hanging around.
- white sugar
- lemon extract
- all purpose flour
- fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to make Blueberry Cookies:
Look for the complete, printable recipe at the end of this post. Use an electric mixer to combine the sugar and butter. Then add an egg and some lemon extract. Mix in the flour, alternating with the milk. Then stir in the blueberries. Use fresh blueberries. And it’s best if they are on the smaller side. Scoop the batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet using a cookie scoop, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Let the cookies cool. Then it’s time to add the glaze.
Combine powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to create good drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies. Let the cookies stay put until the glazed has firmed up.
The cookies are a cakey kind of cookie and not hard, crunchy cookies. They almost taste like a puffed up blueberry pancake instead of a cookie. If you’re a blueberry lover, then you will love this cookie. And it’s likely your first time to try a fresh blueberry cookie, isn’t it? Lucky you. Be sure to try my 3-Ingredient Blueberry Cobbler recipe too. Enjoy!
*NOTE: This recipe was originally shared by RecipeBoy himself (Brooks) back in 2011. The post was updated with new photos and a new write-up in 2021.
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour (measure, then sift)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup fresh (smaller sized) blueberries (washed, dried and stems removed)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (measure, then sift)
- 1 to 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
MAKE THE COOKIES:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg and lemon extract.
- Gradually add flour, alternating with milk addition.
- Carefully stir in the blueberries and drop the batter 1½-inches apart on greased cookie sheet, silpat-mat or parchment lined baking sheet. I use a cookie dough scoop.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
ADD THE GLAZE:
- Let the cookies cool completely. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle each cookie with a little bit of the lemon glaze. The glaze will set when it has a chance to dry.