This Easy Tortilla Casserole is perfect for making on busy weeknights when you need something quick and delicious that everyone will eat!
This is an easy dinner recipe, and we all need some of those, right? We love tacos in our house, and we make them often. But enchiladas are awesome too. I love this recipe to make for two people, because that means there are plenty of leftovers to eat for a day or two. It’s delicious comfort food!
- ground beef
- ground cumin
- enchilada sauce
- flour tortillas (or you can use fried corn tortillas)
- cheddar- jack cheese
- mild green chiles
- desired toppings (cilantro, sour cream, salsa, avocado)
How to make Easy Tortilla Casserole:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post. There is also a how-to video included in this post.
Cut and serve!
Note that this recipe calls for using canned enchilada sauce. We’ve always used RecipeGirl’s recipe for homemade enchilada sauce, which is so much better than the metal-tasting canned stuff.
This recipe calls for using ground beef. You can substitute ground turkey instead if you’re wanting to lighten things up a bit.
Top servings of this easy taco casserole with all of your favorite things. I suggest adding sour cream, salsa, a little cilantro and maybe even some avocado slices. Enjoy!
The Best Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Easy Baked Salmon
- 3-Ingredient Orange Chicken
- Ritz Cracker Chicken
- One Pot Spaghetti
Easy Tortilla Casserole
- 1¼ pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack blend cheese
- One 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- optional toppings: fresh cilantro, sour cream, salsa, avocado
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat until it is no longer pink; tilt the pan and spoon out the fat to discard. Add onion to the pan and cook 3 to 4 minutes until slightly softened. Then add the garlic, cumin, salt and enchilada sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- Place one tortilla in the bottom of the prepared dish. Layer with ⅓ of the meat mixture, ¼ of the cheese and ⅓ of the chiles. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining tortilla. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover lightly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before serving. Cut, serve, and top with desired toppings!