Thursday, July 7, 2011

Grandma’s Cinnamon Toast

Have you ever made cinnamon toast before? If you haven’t, read this post and you’ll be sure to know.  My newest recipe came from my grandma who is currently staying with us while she’s recovering from neck surgery.  She taught me how to make the best cinnamon toast ever.  When my mom (RecipeGirl) was a kid, she used to eat the same toast that I am posting today.  Now please enjoy the yummy pictures ahead!

Mmmm! Doesn’t that look heavenly!

Only 4 ingredients.  But you need really thick and sweet bread for it to be really yummy.  I like to use King’s Sweet Hawaiian Bread.

I had never seen bread in an oven before, although I have seen it in toasters, frying pans, and refrigerators.  Grandma likes to toast one side of the bread, then flip it over and take it out of the oven.

You need a generous amount of butter. Just don’t be Paula Deen!

A good amount of sugar too.

One of the key parts of the toast:  the cinnamon!  Now the toppings are on and it’s ready to bake.

Put the toast on a a small plate and it’s ready to serve!

That’s my bite!  The cinnamon toast tasted great and I think that this is the perfect recipe for a special breakfast.  (Thanks Grandma!)

And even a kid can make it….like me!

cinnamon toast 6

Cinnamon Toast

Yield: 2 pieces of cinnamon toast

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 10 min

The perfect recipe for a special breakfast...

Ingredients:

2 slices of your favorite bread
2 Tablespoons softened butter (the real stuff)
2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven's broiler.

2. Place the bread on a cookie sheet and put it under the broiler. Toast it on one side until golden brown (just a couple of minutes).

3. Remove the bread from the oven and turn it over. Spread each slice of bread with butter. Sprinkle each slice of bread with a Tablespoon of sugar. Then give each slice a good dose of cinnamon.

4. Return the bread to the oven and broil until bubbly and golden brown on the edges (3 to 5 minutes). Take it out of the oven and set it on the stove to cool.

5. Put it on a plate and eat it up!

Source: RecipeBoy.com

Pin It

32 Responses to “Grandma’s Cinnamon Toast”

1. 1

Lori @ RecipeGirl (Mom) — July 7, 2011 @ 6:11 am

Oh man, this looks so good. Any chance you’ll be making this for me for breakfast this AM when I get back from the gym?? That first photo has me drooling big time :)

2. 2

Maria — July 7, 2011 @ 6:14 am

I love cinnamon toast but haven’t had it in a long time! Thanks for the reminder. I want to bite into that piece!

3. 3

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 7, 2011 @ 6:15 am

I love anything warm with cinnamon sugar! This looks great, and your pictures are terrific!

4. 4

Kristen — July 7, 2011 @ 6:27 am

Oh yum. I love cinnamon toast. Great directions and I enjoyed your comment about not overdoing the butter. :)

5. 5

Simple cake recipes — July 7, 2011 @ 6:48 am

yum, cinnamon toast is a great idea for breakfast!

6. 6

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — July 7, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Cinnamon toast was one of my very favorite treats when I was a girl… thank you for the reminder of how fantastic it is! I will have to try your broiling technique – your toast looks perfect :) .

7. 7

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} — July 7, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Looks delicious! My parents broiled our toast in the oven a lot when I was growing up (just one side though). I still prefer it over the toaster. My daughter loves putting cinnamon and sugar on her toast (after it is toasted). I’ll have to use your recipe to make it for her this morning. Thanks!

8. 8

jenna — July 7, 2011 @ 8:30 am

what a perfect way to start the day!

9. 9

Diana — July 7, 2011 @ 9:15 am

I love cinnamon toast! Had it all the time growing up. I’m from Hawaii and the King’s bread is totally the way to go. Love your Paula Deen joke too!

10. 10

Dave — July 7, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Had some of this today! Good stuff! Keep up the good work RecipeBoy!!

11. 11

Donna Smith — July 7, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

oh yes I still have cinnamon toast. I made some the other day and all I had was hot dog buns. it taste great on all bread. YUMMY

12. 12

Jenny Flake — July 7, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

My boys and I have cinnamon toast pretty often. I love the crunch of the sugar in each bite. Your photos look great, love the recipe!! Keep it up Recipe Boy!!

13. 13

ducky — July 8, 2011 @ 5:09 am

Ooo, I LOVE cinnamon toast! I think I’ll make this now!

14. 14

redraven — July 8, 2011 @ 10:12 am

O MY CUPCAKES!!!! yum, yum, yum….Not only does this look simply decadent for cinnamon toast, it must smell like heaven. Blessings, love your cookin’, redraen

15. 15

Aunt Susie — July 8, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

Yum! I might have to make some for myself tomorrow. Next time try a little brown sugar, too. (You know, 2 sugars are better than 1!!!)

16. 16

Erika — July 9, 2011 @ 1:35 am

Your Grandmother is right. Using this bread is great. Only I use a ton more of Cinnamon. I love this spice. Thanks for sharing!!

17. 17

Ann Claire — July 9, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

I haven’t had cinnamon toast in forever. Thanks for reminding me how good it is and that I need to make it!

18. 18

Deebi27 — July 10, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Although I have forever made toasted cinnamon bread, I have never made it with King’s Sweet Hawaiian Bread. I have got to try that…I can see where the sweet bread with up the yumminess of cinnamon toast!

PS I also used to make toast with butter and brown sugar way back when!!!

19. 19

RecipeBoy's Grandma — July 21, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

Your welcome RecipeBoy. It was so much fun watching you recreate one of you Mom’s favorite breakfasts. You did a great job! One can almost taste it by looking at your first “great bite” photo of the sweet white sugar and rich brown cinnamon!

20. 20

Ben — September 22, 2011 @ 9:10 pm

This Cinnamon toast is Great!

21. 21

Joe — October 28, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying a lot of the Recipes I’m seeing. Hard to believe you’re so young. I’ve been cooking since I was 8 so it’s really nice to a see a fellow young foodie doing so well! keep it up! :)

22. 22

Jonathan — November 19, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

that was so delicious !

23. 23

Faye — February 24, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

My grandmother watched me when I was a kid, before I started school and every morning she made me 1 piece of bread with cinnamon and sugar and 1 piece with sugar. She made it like you did with butter and the one with sugar only was so good. I occasionally make this for myself and thank of her doing it for me with all the love.

24. 24

Jill — March 5, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

Thanks for the recipe!! Looks yummy- I’ll have to try it soon!!

25. 25

Katie — June 24, 2012 @ 2:32 am

Great recipe, thanks for sharing! My Mom made cinnamon toast for us as kids, but it was usually a little soggy or burned around the edges. I love your Grandma’s tip about toasting one side of the bread first – my batch turned out beautifully … I almost didn’t want to share with my kids…

26. 26

Jade — February 14, 2013 @ 7:12 pm

I usually just toast the bread , butter it and put the cinnamon sugar on. It doesn’t work well on regular thin sliced bread but when you do it with thick bread or just a bagel like I do it turns out reaaally well :)

27. 27

Dawn — January 22, 2014 @ 6:14 am

Even easier skip the toaster oven just toast the bread and put butter on it and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar…same taste easier prep!!

28. 28

Jeanne — January 22, 2014 @ 6:31 am

We would visit my Aunt Weezie on weekends an hour away would make the best cinnamon toast. I have tried it for years never the same . I am def going to try this morning. It was just one of those things that always tasted better as a child growing up. She would also make the best tuna fish sandwich. And among the best fudge. Great memories ! Thanks

29. 29

Aerica — January 22, 2014 @ 1:17 pm

That is exactly how my grandmother made it for me. Toasted on both sides, buttery and sooo yummy. She made cheese toast almost the same way…just replace the cinnamon with a slice of cheddar cheese and sprinkle sugar on it. Sounds weird I know but it really is good. My mom and I make both for my girls. I love traditional foods. :)

30. 30

Thomas — January 22, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

I USE my toaster oven…put sliced white bread on racks..toast it medium Brown…remove..put cinnamon,sugar(white or brown),butter,pop it back in the oven for a few minutes til butter melted and bubbly..enjoy!Easy…SOOO good!

31. 31

Great Aunt Karen — January 22, 2014 @ 8:21 pm

Your grandma knows how to do it right, Recipe Boy. Who wouldn’t love cinnamon toast like this?

• recipeboy replied: — February 10th, 2014 @ 8:16 pm