These grilled Jerk Turkey Burgers are served topped with homemade mango slaw and sliced avocado.
This is a re-share of a recipe that RecipeBoy Brooks made in 2012 (when he was 11 years old!) The photos were not very appetizing, so these are new photos. I’m going to leave some of Brooks’ original writing in this post (seen in italics) because his comments are so cute.
You may be amazed to hear this, but it is true. I cooked this meal with no mom supervision! When I made these Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw, my mom was in Louisiana learning about Tabasco Sauce. All I could do was hope not to ruin her kitchen while she was gone. Spectacularly though, I didn’t need her tips/advice for this recipe because it turned out PERFECT.
- ground turkey
- jerk seasoning
- green apple
- green onion
- panko breadcrumbs
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- mango chutney
- green cabbage
- hamburger buns
I have to give my dad credit for being the ingredient-fetcher. He sped things up a lot for me. My visiting grandparents were taking care of me that week, so I appointed them the official taste-testers of the Lange kitchen for that night. And of course I was the chef. It felt like a restaurant where everyone has a job!
How to make Jerk Turkey Burgers:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Avocados make everything better (if you’re an avocado fan), so why not load burgers up with them? (Trust me. You should do it!)
OMG!!! Mango chutney on cole slaw. It’s amazing. Normally I don’t like coleslaw, but this superb mango edition changed my mind.
These jerk turkey burgers were fantastic! The mango slaw adds a sweet flavor to the burgers that makes them superb. In fact, my Grandad and Dad commented that the mango slaw was the best they’d ever had. We’d totally make these burgers for dinner again! You should make them too. Enjoy!
The Best Burger Recipes:
Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 small green apple, peeled and grated
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions, divided
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, plus more for brushing
- ¼ cup mango chutney, roughly chopped
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 medium shredded carrot
- Canola or vegetable oil, for the grill
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Mix the turkey, jerk seasoning, apple, ¼ cup green onions and the panko in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Form into four 1-inch-thick patties and make a small indentation in the middle of each with your thumb to prevent it from puffing up on the grill. Refrigerate.
- Whisk the mayonnaise and chutney together in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot and the remaining ¼ cup green onions, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Brush the grill with oil or spray with nonstick grilling spray. Grill the turkey patties until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Brush the cut sides of the buns with mayonnaise and sprinkle with jerk seasoning; toast on the grill, about 30 seconds. Serve the burgers on the buns and topped with slaw and sliced avocado.