This Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup recipe is so easy made with just 7 main ingredients, and then topped with your favorite toppings!
A friend of mine has made and served this soup a couple of times during game days when we’ve visited her house. I’ve always loved this soup, and I finally asked her for the recipe. I was surprised to find out how easy it was to make. It’s made with mostly canned ingredients, and it’s all done in the slow cooker. It can’t get any easier than that. The bonus is that it’s family-friendly too!
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- canned black beans
- canned Rotel tomatoes
- jarred salsa
- canned chopped green chiles
- canned tomato sauce
- desired toppings: tortilla chips, grated cheese, green onion, etc.
How to make Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Fix it and forget it is the kind of recipe that everyone loves to make once in a while. Hopefully y0u have a slow cooker already, but if you don’t then I’ll share my favorite. I’ve had several slow cookers in my life, and my favorite is the Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker. It’s the best.
Leftovers of this Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup are amazing, so just store them in a covered container, refrigerate and warm up to eat for a few days after making. This is a great recipe to make for a Game Day, but it’s also a good recipe to make for an easy weeknight dinner or for lunches during the week.
Top your slow cooker tortilla soup with all of your favorite things. I suggest crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheese and green onions. It’s also good with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole (or even some chopped tomatoes). Enjoy!
Best Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas
- Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Pork Burritos
Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
- 24 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Two 15-ounce cans Rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa
- One 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- One 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese and chopped green onion (optional)
- Combine all of the soup ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When cooking time is done, shred the chicken, and stir it into the soup.
- Serve individual servings topped with chips, cheese and green onion, as desired.
- How spicy the soup turns out depends on how spicy your ingredients are. For mild, use mild Rotel, mild salsa and mild green chiles.